This post originally appeared on Blog Me Lovely.
About two months ago my work announced that we will be merging with another company in our industry. Now this is GREAT news for the company, but it comes with some uncertainty. With any merger, some jobs will be lost due to duplicate positions and consolidation. That worries me as I still have not heard anything about my position and the closing date is estimated for mid September. I have so many unanswered questions.
Will I still have a job in 30 days?
If so, what will that job look like? Will my boss still be the same? Will the office still be located in Irvine, let alone California?
Am I putting enough effort into looking for another job now?
Will I be able to find another job with similar pay that I actually enjoy?
Will I get severance pay and what will happen to my 401(k) matching since the merger should close like 4 days before my one year?
So many questions that have yet to be answered. I feel uncertain about my current job and finances. I have been working on paying down my credit cards and student loans as well as trying to save and now I may be out of a job. It is one of those things that you hope for the best but plan for the worst.
This is a situation that is out of my control, so all I can do is continue to do my job as always. Work hard, contribute and show I would like to be a part of the new company. I know I will be fine no matter what happens, I can always find another job. So that is what I am going to focus on. I am going to focus on the positive, besides it may turn out that I am worrying over nothing!
I am going to use this time to work on my blog and my classes. I I have updated my resume and LinkedIn profile (if anyone wants to connect send me a request and just mention you read my blog) and created a personal resume site so I am ready just in case. Worse case scenario, I will have more time to work on my blog and design work while I look for another job. Things could be worse!
How do you handle feelings of uncertainty? Let me know in the comments below.
You know how I have been talking for months about launching a new blog? Well Blog Me Lovely has finally launched and has a few posts up! I am so excited about this new venture. I am thinking of keeping up with both blogs now that I am getting back in the swing of things!
How to Create Your Own Hosted WordPress Blog
10 Reasons Why You Should Start a Blog
Questions to Ask When Creating a Blog Content Strategy
How to Create a Blog with Blogger
What do you think of the new blog? Let me know in the comments below!
This year is going by so fast! I can’t believe we are in the last week of March! So I thought I would take a look at how I am doing on the goals I set for myself this year!
1. Move out – Still working on this one, probably towards the end of summer.
2. Take more “family” pictures – I need to get better about taking pictures, I haven’t taken as many as I wanted.
3. Take Max and Rocky to the vet for a check-up and shots – COMPLETE!
1. Pay off my credit cards – I have 2 out of 5 cards paid off. SO this is definitely in progress!
2. Lower my student loans by 25% – I have just been making the required payments, so not as far as I would have liked.
3. Have three months pay in savings – Haven’t even started this one yet, need to get on it!
4. Start saving for retirement – COMPLETE
1. Earn a raise at work – COMPLETE – I am very happy to say that my hard work has paid off and I earned a raise. Can’t wait to show what else I can bring to the company this year!
2. Launch Blog Me Lovely – COMPLETE
3. Create a supplementary income online – I launched Blog Me Lovely, which is a good first step. But now I need to get to regularly posting and creating the design shop to go with it!
1. Practice random acts of kindness – Still in the works.
2. Take up yoga – I have a video or two but I have yet to start.
3. Be less judgmental of others and myself – This is a hard one for me, but I am working on it.
1. Set and go to my yearly doctors appointments –COMPLETE
2. Live a more healthy lifestyle – In progress. I went to all my doctor’s appointments, bought vitamins and a reusable water bottle. I plan on bringing healthier snacks to work and cutting down on soda over the next few months.
It looks like I am right on my way to achieving my goals for the year. It is so motivating seeing all the progress I have already made!
What are your goals this year? Let me know in the comments below. Leave a link to your 2015 Goals post, I would love to check it out!
Last year I chose to live by the word Brave. I think I did okay with that, I even wrote a reflection post.
While last year I needed to be BRAVE to make some major life changes, this year I need to buckle down and ACHIEVE my goals.
Achieve is defined as to reach or attain by effort, skill or courage.
I have so many things I want to achieve this year, take a look at my goals for 2015. I feel it will take effort, skill AND courage to reach my goals this year.
What is your word for 2015? Let me know in the comments below.
I learned so much in 2014. It was a year full of major changes and I am very grateful for that.
I learned it is okay to put yourself first – I started the year by asking for a divorce. Then after working a new job in the field I wanted for three months I quit. I can only take so much. I had to put myself and my well being first. Some may think it is selfish, I think it is absolutely necessary. My health depends on it. When I don’t take the time to put myself first I get overwhelmed and stressed, and I can make myself sick. When I put myself first and take time for myself to recharge I am much happier and a much better person to be around.
I learned it is okay to say no – Sometimes I take on too much because I have an issue with saying no. I don’t want to disappoint anyone, I want to make everyone happy. But stretching myself too thin is of no good to anyone. I need to work on this one, because while I have come to realize it is true I still have trouble putting it to practice. I need to start standing up for myself when I need alone time or time to recharge.
I learned the only one limiting my success is myself – I am a huge procrastinator. I am afraid of success as much as failure. I am afraid of the time it will take to achieve my goals will interfere with my relationships. I am afraid that not only will I but others will think less of me if I fail. These are some of the reasons I procrastinate. These are fears I need to overcome in order to achieve my goals. I have wasted precious time sitting around doing nothing rather than working to make myself better. I am the only one standing in my way. Year 2015 is the year I make an effort to get out of my own way.
What did you learn in 2014? Let me know in the comments below!